BURYING THE HEAD IN SAND
- As a Mission Statement, the NCEF is committed to the Unity of Nigeria and the duty of the Leadership of the Nation to ensure that this Unity is not sacrificed on the altar of sectarian interests and biases.
- In its exercise of the Biblical "Issachar Mandate," the National Christian Elders Forum (NCEF) is purposed to draw national attention, as Senior Citizens, to the issues as they stand in Nigeria at present. The NCEF Press Release of July 2017, titled Correct Assessment of Situation in Nigeria, presently under contention by some Muslim groups, was sent as "non-violent communication" (NVC) to keep Nigerians abreast with the disturbing threats packaged no doubt, by Islamists (political Islam), to destroy NIGERIA as one indivisible and all inclusive Union State under GOD. NCEF position still stands on Truth as the only pillar of national strength and unity.
- In the Press release, NCEF encouraged Nigerians to understand the "Time and Season"; to stand on common ground and be committed to "NIGERIA our country" where the citizens' vision of NIGERIA as a true Federation will guide National Commitment and Governance at all levels; and in the exercise of Authority by National Institutions. We hope for a country where the citizen's expectations of guaranteed Safety and Security, Justice for All, Equal Opportunity for all without discrimination, Freedom of Worship without compulsion and Movement without let or hindrance remain sacrosanct. Therefore, the exercise of power and authority must be with responsibility and accountability towards all citizens irrespective of tribe or tongue, religion or social status. It may be possible that some Nigerians are not able to distinguish the difference between Truth and Propaganda; and the Islamists globally would rather kill or commit suicide than see Truth come to pass. It is disheartening to note that Nigeria is moving dangerously close to a national “red line” where Truth is criminalized as “hate speech”.
- With the foregoing in mind, the National Christian Elders Forum, (NCEF) is dismayed by the series of rejoinders that emanated from some Muslim organizations and some notable Muslim leaders all over the country to its Press Release of July 2017. The Press Release drew National attention to the threat posed to our corporate existence as a country by the JIHAD that has been launched in Nigeria by Islamists of Northern Nigeria. Some of the rejoinders are pitiable attempts to deny reality while some are plainly comical. Or else, how can one describe a rejoinder that called National Christian Elders Forum (NCEF) “Northern Christian Elders Forum” and wondered what Dr. Chukwuemeka Ezeife was doing in “Northern Christian Elders Forum”. The writer conveniently, or otherwise, forgot that Dr. Ezeife is not the only Ibo person listed in the membership of NCEF. Except of course, the Islamists are signaling to the rest of the country that the current Nigeria is only for the Islamists. This may explain why all the key positions in Security and Education are held by Northern Muslims from selected Islamist enclaves (with the exception of JAMB held by a Yoruba Muslim) in flagrant violation of the Federal Character Principle enshrined in Section 14 (3) of the Constitution.
- Despite the weighty issues raised in the Press Release, the NCEF is also at a loss to understand why the only recurring theme in all the rejoinders is “General Danjuma who was not present at the meeting”. For clarification, the list of names published with the Press Release was not the Attendance list at the meeting but the list of members of the NCEF. There were other members unable to attend the meeting but that does not diminish their participation in the NCEF.
- Deception is the name of the game. The unwary and unsuspecting citizen is therefore lulled into a sense of false safety and security while disaster lurks around him. It therefore has to take a wary mind that is experienced in discerning the truth to see beneath the surface and correctly interpret the signs of the time.