The fact is, proving Mormonism to be a false doctrine is not an attack but a defence of the Christian faith.
Joseph Smith, the founder of Mormonism made the first attack by claiming that all Christian denominations are an abomination in God's sight.
If a Latter Day Saint should ask you this question, you need only look as far as their own scriptures and to the words of their leaders for an answer:
- Journal of Discourses 5:73--"When the light came to me I saw that all the so-called Christian world was grovelling in darkness."
- Journal of Discourses 8:99--"With a regard to true theology, a more ignorant people never lived than the present so-called Christian world."
- Journal of Discourses 6:25--"What! Are Christians ignorant? Yes, as ignorant of the things of God as the brute beast."
- Orson Pratt (Mormon Apostle)--"..all other churches are entirely destitute of all authority from God; and any person who receives baptism of the Lord's supper from their hands highly offend God, for he looks upon them as the most corrupt of all people" (The Seer, pg 255)
- Heber C. Kimball (First Counselor to Brigham Young)--"Christians - those poor, miserable priests Brother Brigham was speaking about - some of them are the biggest whoremasters there are on the earth..." (Journal of Discourses 5:39) www.contenderministries.org
So, what do the Mormons believe? The Mormons are taught and hold to the following:
- God is not God— "We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea, and take away the veil, so that you may see." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pg. 345)
- Jesus and Lucifer are brothers—"The appointment of Jesus to be the Savior of the world was contested by one of the other sons of God. He was called Lucifer, son of the morning. Haughty, ambitious, and covetous of power and glory, this spirit-brother of Jesus desperately tried to become the Savior of mankind." (Milton R. Hunter, Gospel Through the Ages, pg.15)
- Jesus was a polygamist—"I discover that some of the Eastern papers represent me as a great blasphemer, because I said, in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children." (Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses 2:210)
- Jesus was killed because of polygamy—The grand reason of the burst of public sentiment in anathemas upon Christ and his disciples, causing his crucifixion, was evidently based upon polygamy, according to the testimony of the philosophers who rose in that age. A belief in the doctrine of a plurality of wives caused the persecution of Jesus and his followers. We might almost think they were 'Mormons'" (Jedediah M. Grant, Journal of Discourses, 1:346)
- Only polygamists will be saved—"The only men who become Gods, even the Sons of God, are those who enter into polygamy." (Journal of Discourses 11:269)
- The Bible cannot be trusted—"I believe the Bible as it is read when it came from the pen of the original writers. Ignorant translators, careless transcribers, or designing and corrupt priests have committed many errors." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph smith, pg.327)
"But the Bible has been robbed of its plainness; many sacred books having been lost, others rejected by the Romish Church, and what few we have left, were copied and recopied so many times, that it is admitted that almost every verse has been corrupted and mutilated to that degree that any two of them read alike." (Orson Pratt, The Seer, pg.213)
If you are a member of the Mormons, the Lord in mercy is calling you, Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. 2 Cor. 6:17-18
Now is the acceptable time, today is the day of salvation.
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. John 8:32